Web Directory Vs Search Engine
One of the most searched questions over the internet is the differences between a web directory and a search engine. A lot of the time, people are confused about the two and make the mistake of using the names interchangeably. However, it is important to know about the differences between the two so that you can focus on the two in the right manner. If you want to know about the two, you have come to the right place. This post aims to provide you with all the information you need about the differences between a web directory and a search engine. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s dive in.
What Is a Web Directory?
In the simplest of words, a web directory is an evolved directory that contains all the information of different websites, organizations, and businesses. It provides users with details such as company name, website address, geographical location, a brief introduction, and even contact number. Companies need to be included in specific directories to rank higher for local searches. Some examples of web directories include Google Directory, Open Directory, and Yahoo Directory.
What Is Search Engine?
When we talk about search engine, it refers to Google and Bing. A search engine is responsible for providing users with information about just about everything possible. It is simply a website that provides users with all the information they require. It provides them with relevant search results so that users experience no trouble finding what they are looking for. Companies invest in search engine optimization or SEO for short to find more customers in order to boost sales.
Differences between Web Directory and Search Engine
- A web directory is an online database of information and websites set up by category or subject. On the other hand, a search engine is an online tool which is used for locating information.
- Web directories are created, reviewed, and maintained by humans, whereas, search engines are maintained by computer robotics.
- Users utilize web directories for finding and locating information on the internet using a hierarchy. As for search engines, users utilize them for finding information using keywords and phrases.
- The thing about web directories is that they are organized by humans that discover new websites and review them. On the other hand, search engines rely on an algorithm or formula to display relevant information.
- A web directory is used for searching businesses, events, and topics, whereas, search engines are used mainly for research, entertainment, and shopping.
- Web directories are very small in comparison to search engines which cover billions of web pages. Hence, there is no comparison in size between the two.
- If you are on the lookout for broad topics, you will find a web directory to be the perfect option. However, if you require complex information, search engines are the way to go as they offer advanced features that make it super easy for you to find relevant information in as little time as possible.
Conclusion Once you have gone over the differences between web directory and search engine, you will know about their main purpose and uses.